We all know how important it is to take our makeup off, and the best way to do a thorough job is to start by using a micellar water to remove most of it, then following up with a cleansing oil to remove any last remnants.
As someone with sensitive skin, I try to minimize the use of cotton pads to avoid irritating my skin, so I choose powerful and effective makeup removers that can remove my makeup in less than three minutes without needing many cotton pads.
If you’ve read my best cleansing oils post you will already know which ones I like the most, but I still want to introduce you to the fabulous cleansing balm I received from UNT, a cruelty-free Taiwanese brand that I have been using for a very long time and have a lot of affection for.
The Absolux cleansing balm comes with a spatula, so you can apply it without contaminating it with your fingers, and an exfoliating muslin cloth that is so gentle it won’t irritate even very sensitive skin.
This deliciously fragranced cleansing balm is enriched with botanical extracts and vegetable oils like Aloe Vera, Tsubaki Oil, Rosehip Oil, Marula Oil, Lemon Oil, Mineral Oil and Hops Extract to deep clean, clarify, nourish, brighten and soothe the skin. You only need a pea-sized amount to cleanse your entire face so the balm should last between 6 months and a year depending on how often you use it. I’ve been using it 4 to 5 times a week for the last 3 weeks and I still have around 95% of the product left.
How to use :
Just like every cleansing oil and balm, it must be applied on dry skin.
- Take a pea-sized amount of the product and slightly melt it between your fingers so it turns into a silky oil, and gently massage your entire face with it for 10 to 20 seconds. I recommend starting off with your face and then removing your eye makeup so you won’t get blurry vision.
- Enjoy the delicate texture of this balm. It is so silky it literally slides on your skin without effort, and the relaxing scent makes you want to massage your face with it for hours.
- Once you’re done removing your makeup, wash your face with lukewarm water and simply enjoy the next step. This is probably my favorite part of my night cleansing routine now, and it is so relaxing I could do it all day long.
- Take the muslin cloth, wet it under lukewarm water and apply it over your entire face for 5 to 10 seconds. This step is of course optional but it is a real treat for yourself as it is very relaxing.
- Gently wipe off your face in circular motions with the cloth, wet it under cold water and hold it again on your face for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Since this balm contains mineral oil, double cleansing is required, so do not forget to follow up with your favorite foaming cleanser.
The exfoliating cloth is made of 100% muslin and is suitable even for very sensitive skin like mine. According to UNT it serves to exfoliate pores, improve blood circulation and removes impurities.
Since I use a few chemical exfoliators almost every day I was wary of over-exfoliating my skin with this cloth, but it is gentle enough that I didn’t encounter any problems. It is optional, but it is so agreeable to use that it became a real pleasure to take off my makeup every night.
I’m quite satisfied the performance level, as the Absolux removes my face makeup entirely without any effort other than slightly massaging for less than 20 seconds. But, if like me you use strong waterproof eye makeup, I would highly recommend using an eye-makeup remover before this cleansing balm – otherwise say hello to blurry eyes for a few hours.
It still did an excellent job at removing 80 to 85% of the extremely stubborn Generlash Mascara from Hera in less than 30 seconds, which is truly a miracle considering this mascara is the most difficult one to remove ever.
After using this balm my skin becomes as soft as a baby’s, and the relaxing scent of it makes me want to curl into my bed with a good book. Even if it is a little expensive compared to some makeup remover it’s still a treat for your skin and for yourself, so yes, it is definitely worth 24$.