Spicy with a hint of sweet. This chicken will knock your socks off and you’ll continue to eat it because it’s fantastic! For me, the garnish of just a few gratings of lime and lemon really took it over the edge. The subtle citrus notes as I was eating added a great contrast in flavors through the dish.
I tried to stay away from Asian food, but it just never works out! I wanted something that was both a bit sweet and very spicy. While I was making the sauce for this it didn’t taste extremely Asian, but the final product definitely has the influences. I think you’ll really love this one if you’re a fan of the spicy.
Essentially if you don’t have any chili garlic paste, you can add minced garlic and chili paste. If you have no chili paste, then use some cayenne pepper to taste. I am guessing about 1 tsp. worth of cayenne pepper to get it at the same spice level.
When I was cooking, I didn’t measure out the salt and pepper of this recipe. I normally add my salt and pepper to visual taste, and then I taste it at the end to see if it needs more. The soy sauce brings a great salty quality, so normally extra salt isn’t needed, but if you’re a big fan of salt then feel free to add more!
As usual, I am using Just NOW Erythritol to sweeten this dish. It uses a non-GMO source of corn, which is rare in most Erythritol, and is a sugar alcohol. The enzymes needed to break down erythritol are not contained in the human body, so we actually don’t absorb any of the carbs from this. It’s quite awesome! Studies also show that our blood sugar doesn’t spike when using this ingredient.
Yields 4 Servings
- 1 ½ pounds ground chicken
- 6 cups Spinach
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/3 tablespoons erythritol
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon Mrs. Dash Table Blend
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
1. In a small ramekin, add 4 Tbsp. Tomato Paste, 2 Tbsp. Chili Garlic Paste, 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce, and 1/2 tsp. Minced Ginger.
2. Mix in 2 tsp. Spicy Brown Mustard until everything is combined.
3. In a pan on medium-high heat, bring 3 Tbsp. Coconut Oil to its smoke point.
4. Add 1 1/2 lbs. Ground Chicken to the oil and season with salt and pepper.
5. Continue to cook the chicken until it is fully cooked, breaking it up as it cooked.
6. Add 2/3 of your sauce that you created.
7. Mix the sauce into the chicken well so that everything is coated.
8. Add your spinach to the top of the chicken and allow it to wilt down.
9. Add 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock, 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes, 1/2 tsp. Mrs. Dash Table Blend, 1 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar, and the remaining 1/3 of your sauce. Add more salt and pepper as you see fit.
10. Mix the spinach and spices into the chicken well, make sure everything is well distributed in the mixture. Once you do that, add 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. Erythritol to the chicken.
11. Mix the Erythritol into the chicken well.
12. Turn the heat to low and cover with a lid. Let this cook for 10-15 minutes longer.
13. Serve and enjoy! You can garnish with a small amount of lemon and lime zest, which will add a subtle citrus note.
Per serving, you are looking at 387 Calories, 28.8g Fats, 3.9g Net Carbs, and 47.3g Protein. I usually serve this with some kind of fried cheese, like fried queso fresco that naturally gets the fat content up.
|Keto Style Szechuan Chicken||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|1 1/2 lbs. Ground Chicken||1040||72||4||0||4||176|
|6 Cups Spinach||41||1||7||4||3||5|
|1/2 Cup Chicken Stock||10||0||1||0||1||2|
|4 Tbsp. Organic Tomato Paste||50||0||10||4||6||2|
|3 Tbsp. Coconut Oil||360||42||0||0||0||0|
|2 Tbsp. Chili Garlic Paste||5||0||0.7||0||0.7||0|
|2 tsp. Spicy Brown Mustard||10||0||0||0||0||0|
|2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce||20||0||0||0||0||4|
|1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 tsp. Mrs. Dash Table Blend||5||0||0.4||0||0.4||0|
|1/2 tsp. Minced Ginger||3||0||0.5||0||0.5||0|
Per serving, you are looking at 387 Calories, 28.8g Fats, 3.9g Net Carbs, and 47.3g Protein.
- 1 1/2 lbs. Ground Chicken
- 6 Cups Spinach
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
- 4 Tbsp. Organic Tomato Paste
- 3 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Chili Garlic Paste
- 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1 1/3 Tbsp. Erythritol
- 1 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Spicy Brown Mustard
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Pepper
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp. Mrs. Dash Table Blend
- 1/2 tsp. Minced Ginger
- Mix together tomato paste, soy sauce, chili garlic paste, brown mustard, and ginger in a ramekin.
- On the stove, bring 3 Tbsp. Coconut Oil to medium-high temperature.
- Cook the ground chicken with salt and pepper in the oil until it is cooked through. Break it up into small pices.
- Add 2/3 of your sauce to the mixture and mix it well.
- Add your spinach to the chicken and let it wilt. Add salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash seasoning, red pepper flakes.
- Add the last 1/3 of your sauce, chicken stock, red wine vinegar, and erythritol. Mix the spinach and spices in well.
- Turn the heat to low and cover the pan. Let this cook for about 10-15 minutes.